Getting an Entrepreneur Work Visa
If you want to come to New Zealand to set up or buy a business, you can apply for an entrepreneur work visa. It lets you stay in New Zealand for up to three years and can be used as a step towards permanent residence, i.e. after a qualifying period of time you can apply for an entrepreneur resident visa.
With an entrepreneur work visa you are given 12 months to get your business set up. When you can show Immigration New Zealand the business is up and running, you can stay for a further 24 months. You will, however, need to meet a number of requirements before getting this visa – details of those are below. If you do meet the requirements you can include your partner and children on your application and if you successfully get the visa, they can come to New Zealand to live with you.
Main Requirements and Restrictions
- You must submit a detailed business plan as part of your application.
- You need a minimum of NZ $100,000 to invest in your business. That said, if your business is in the ICT or science sectors, this investment requirement can be waivered.
- You need 120 points on New Zealand’s immigration points scale
- You cannot have been bankrupt in the past five years
- You cannot have been involved in a business failure in the past five years
- You can’t have ever been involved in business fraud or committed any other type of financial crime
Making an Application
As with many business visa, the application process can be complex, not least because of the amount of supporting documentation you need to provide. At Immigration Advisers New Zealand, we can help you by offering advice, or we can manage the application process for you.
To find out more please call 09 3790219.