Provide All Relevant Information - Residence Visa Enquiry
immigration lawyer nz

Know All About English Language Tests Accepted By INZ

Immigration NZ

Every country and educational institute has a different language requirement for migrants. Nevertheless, language proficiency for migrants is critical since it facilitates assimilation in a foreign country and improves work prospects. Language abilities also aid social integration and academic accomplishments.

The English language is one of the three official languages of New Zealand. The other two are the Māori language and New Zealand sign language.

Do you want to study, work or live in NZ?

If you want to work, study or migrate to New Zealand, you must have a certain level of proficiency in the English language.

Immigration New Zealand (INZ) expects different English language proficiency levels for various visa categories; accordingly, the scores differ for each visa category. Whether you are the principal applicant, a partner, or a dependent child determines the proficiency level required. At the time of submission of the visa application, the English language test results must not be older than two years. It is always best to check the specific visa type you intend to apply for to see the English requirements for that specific visa by clicking on this link here.

Student visa requirement

INZ does not set an English language requirement for Student Visa applications. Some Education Providers (especially at the tertiary level) require a certain level of English before offering you a place, but this will vary from one provider to the next. You will have to find this out individually.

Therefore, you should directly discuss course requirements with your education provider or their authorised representatives like Immigration Advisers New Zealand Ltd.

Please note that as an international student, even if you have an English-speaking background, you may still have to provide an English language test result to show that you meet the minimum standard.

English language proficiency test score is not a requirement if you study English in New Zealand.

Acceptable English language proficiency tests

Some of the acceptable English language proficiency tests are:

  • International English Language Testing System
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language
  • Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT)
  • Occupational English Test (OET) (for health
  • care professionals)
  • Cambridge Assessment English – B2 First (FCE)
  • Cambridge Assessment English – B2 First for
  • Schools (FCE for Schools)
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE: Academic)

To find out which English language tests INZ accepts and the results you need for the visa you are applying for, please click here.

As evident, it is very important to find out the English language requirement for a particular visa category before applying for one.

If you have any queries or require assistance regarding the above information, please do not hesitate to contact Immigration Advisers New Zealand Ltd. at [email protected] or call +64 09 3790219. Our experienced team of Licensed Immigration Advisers will be happy to guide you.


Author Details

immigration consultant hamilton

Vandana Rai

(LIA 201400900)

Vandana Rai is a Senior Licensed Immigration Adviser and has built a reputation around her rare set of skills, which could be considered ideal for her legal profession.

Green List

Profile Check Form

Click Here ×