Partnership Resident Visa

Partnership Resident Visa

Partnership Resident Visa let you come to New Zealand to live permanently with your partner in two main situations:Partnership Resident Visa

  • When your partner is making a Partnership Resident Visa application – it is possible on most resident visas to include partners and children on the application. If your partner is submitting an applicable resident visa, and you meet the requirement for being his or her partner, you can be included on the application too. You may have to meet minimum English language requirement standards as part of your partner’s application.
  • When your partner is a citizen or resident of New Zealand – you can apply for a resident visa to live permanently in New Zealand if your partner is already a resident or citizen.

In all situations where you are coming to New Zealand as a partner, you must prove the relationship is genuine and stable. There are also character tests you will have to meet.

Residence for Partners of New Zealanders

Is your partner a resident or citizen of New Zealand? If so, you can apply for permanent residence to live in New Zealand indefinitely. The standard requirements for a visa apply in this situation. For example, you must be relatively healthy and have a good character.

The main additional requirement you must prove is that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner. You must have also been in the relationship for at least 12 months. You will need to provide evidence to prove this including evidence you live together, evidence you share financial responsibilities, and other evidence you are a couple.

Other Things You Need to Know about Partnership Resident Visa

  • Your dependent children can be included on your application. This potentially includes children up to the age of 24, although for children aged 21-24 you must prove they rely on you for financial support.
  • With this visa, you can live, work, and study in New Zealand on a permanent basis.
  • There are some situations where your partner must live in New Zealand before you can apply for this visa. This includes if your partner’s residence in New Zealand is based on them being an Australian citizen or permanent resident. It also applies if your partner holds a NZ resident return visa.
  • There are also additional requirements if you and your partner have been living outside New Zealand for over five years. In this case, you will need to apply while your partner is overseas or within three months of them returning to New Zealand.

Including a Partner in a Residence Application

If you are applying for a resident visa to stay in New Zealand permanently, you can include your partner on your residence application. This applies to most categories of resident visa including the popular residence from work and skilled migrant category visa.

The key requirement is that you and your partner must be in a stable and genuine relationship. Immigration New Zealand makes its decision on this based on a number of factors. To get professional advice on making your application, contact Immigration Advisers New Zealand today.

Partner Residence Application – What You Need to Know

You can be in a same sex or opposite sex relationship with your partner but you must be over 18 (if you or your partner is 16 or 17 you can still apply but you will need the consent of your parents or guardians).

You can’t be a close relative of your partner and your partner must meet New Zealand’s character requirements.

You also have to show the relationship is genuine and stable. This means you have to live together. The immigration authorities will look at a number of factors when assessing your relationship with your partner. This includes:

  • How long you’ve been together, how long you’ve lived together, your living arrangements, and how committed you are to each other
  • How you manage your finances, i.e. the way you support each other or share financial responsibilities
  • Whether you own property, are jointly named on a lease, or if you have children
  • Whether other people recognise you as being a couple

Making a Partner Residence Application

It is up to you to provide enough information in your residence application that proves and/or demonstrates the genuineness and stability of the relationship with your partner. We can help you prepare this paperwork and can give you an assessment of your application.

For more information on your options for partner resident visas or to get advice on making an application, please contact Immigration Advisers New Zealand today. Call 09 3790219.