Provide All Relevant Information - Submit Query
immigration lawyer nz

Partnership Resident Visa

Get In Touch with experts

Partnership Residence Visa NZ

A partnership residence visa is for you if you are the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident. You can then apply for a visa under this category to live in New Zealand permanently. If you are granted a residence visa, you can live, work and study in New Zealand indefinitely. You can also include your dependent children who are single, aged 24 and under, in your partnership visa application, but children aged 21-24 must be relying on an adult for financial support.

If your partner is a New Zealand resident because of their citizenship or residence status in Australia, they must be living in New Zealand.

You may also be granted a Permanent Resident Visa if your partner is a New Zealand citizen and the two of you have been living together outside of New Zealand for 5 years or more. However, your partner will need to be either overseas when you apply or have been back in New Zealand for less than 3 months.

To be able to support your partnership residence visa NZ application, your partner must be eligible, and your partner must complete a ‘Partnership support form for Residence/temporary entry’ as evidence of their support.

For a partnership residence visa NZ, you also must provide evidence that you and your partner have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for 12 months or more.

When applying for a partnership visa NZ, since the onus of proving whether the partnership on which the application is based is genuine and stable lies with the principal applicant and their New Zealand partner, sufficient evidence must be submitted along with the partner visa application.

If, after assessing an application, an immigration officer is satisfied the couple is living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable, but the duration of that partnership is less than the 12 months required that is required for a partnership residence visa NZ, they may defer the final decision to enable the qualifying period to be met and grant a work partner visa NZ in the interim.

If you would like to know more about the Partnership Resident Visa Category process, assessment criteria and the pitfalls that you should be aware of, please call us today on +64 9 379 0219 or email contact@nzimmigration.info


You can apply for a temporary partnership-based visitor visa or work visa to bring your partner to New Zealand. If you are an NZ citizen or resident, you can even bring your partner to New Zealand to get married, provided you meet certain immigration requirements.

If you need our assistance with partnership-based visas, please click here and we will get back to you at the earliest.

A partnership visa is generally granted in line with the supporting partner’s visa. However, if the supporting partner is an NZ citizen or resident, the visa duration granted maybe 12 months or 24 months depending on the period of living together.

No, it is not the same. If you are the partner of an NZ citizen or resident, you can apply to live permanently in New Zealand. This is possible only if:

  • The two of you have been living together outside of New Zealand for 5 years or more.
  • Your partner’s New Zealand residence is based on their Australian citizenship, Australian permanent residence, or resident return visa and your partner lives in New Zealand.


Successful Clients


Licensed Advisers


5 Star Facebook Reviews


Years of Experience


Student Visa

Profile Check Form

Click Here ×