Provide All Relevant Information - Submit Query
immigration lawyer nz

Student Visa Onshore

Get In Touch with experts

Student Visa Onshore

You can apply for a student visa to study in New Zealand if you are already here in New Zealand. This is known as an Onshore Student Visa. Instances when you have to apply for an onshore student visa, could include when you were previously granted a student visa as an international student and are applying for a new student visa to continue as an international student.

If you are in New Zealand on a visitor visa or a work visa and this is your first time applying for a student visa, see the First-time international student visa application checklist.

The conditions are almost the same, and you can do the same things with an Onshore Student Visa as an offshore one, i.e. you can study full-time at various educational institutions in New Zealand.

To obtain an Onshore Student Visa, you must make an application at least four weeks before your course start date as per the Checklist. You will need:

  • NZD $20,000 per year of the tertiary, English language, or other non-compulsory education study or $1,667 per month if your study will be shorter than one year.
  • If you are studying in compulsory education (years 1-13 at a school), you will need NZD $17,000 per year or $1,417 per month if your study will be shorter than one year.
  • Accommodation costs that have been pre-paid to the school can be deducted.
  • Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry
  • INZ Financial Undertaking form
  • Additional information form if you have a financial guarantee

Other Things You Will Need

  • Proof you have the funds for a return flight ticket
  • Your passport
  • Your current valid visa
  • An offer of a place at a recognised educational institution (if you are a new student or entering a new programme)
  • A receipt from that institution confirming you have paid your tuition fees
  • Your student ID card (if you don’t have one, you will need to supply a passport photo instead)
  • The application fee

Making the Application

In some circumstances, other information may be needed in addition to the above. For help with the process of applying for an Onshore Student Visa, you should contact Immigration Advisers New Zealand. Call today on +64 9 379 0219.


Successful Clients


Licensed Advisers


5 Star Facebook Reviews


Years of Experience


Student Visa

Profile Check Form

Click Here ×