Working in NZ After Studies

Working After Studying in New Zealand

If you are thinking of working after studying, you do have options. You will need to apply for a new visa, and there are requirements and conditions you have to be aware of. If you need advice or any help with the process, please contact us at Immigration Advisers New Zealand.

The option of working after studying is aimed at people who want to work in a job that is related to their qualification. There are two types of visa available if this applies to you:

  • Post-study work visa (open)
  • Post-study work visa (employer assisted)

Post-Study Work Visa (Open)

This visa lets you stay in New Zealand for up to 12 months while you try to find work related to your qualification or studies. You can work in any job during this period, but you can only apply if you have successfully obtained a qualification at a NZ educational institution.

In addition, you have to apply within six months if your qualification is a PhD and within three months for all other qualifications. You also need to show you have at least NZ $4,200 to live on.

Post-Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted)

Once you have the offer of a job that is related to your qualification, you can apply for a post-study work visa (employer assisted). This visa also has the requirement that you must have successfully completed your studies in NZ.

The standard length of this visa is two years but there is a three year option too. This applies if you need to build up work experience in order to join a professional organisation related to your qualification.

Making Your Application

To ensure the process of making an application goes smoothly you should speak to a professional immigration adviser. You can call us on 09 3790219.

Download Forms

Affiliated Education Providers