Provide All Relevant Information - Residence Visa Enquiry
immigration lawyer nz

Visa for Partners & Dependent Children of NZ Work Visa Holders

Visa for Partners & Dependent Children of NZ Work Visa Holders

If you are the partner of a New Zealand work visa holder, you may be able to apply for a visa that allows you to live and work in New Zealand as well. The process for obtaining a visa as a partner or a dependent child of a work visa holder will depend on the type of work visa that your partner holds and the length of their visa.

Partners of NZ work visa holders have the following options:

  • Partnership-based open work visa
  • Partnership-based visitor visa

Dependent children of NZ work visa holders have the following options:

  • Dependent child student visa
  • Dependent child visitor visa

NZ Work Visa holders who cannot support their family

The following work visa holders cannot support partners & dependent children:

  • Fishing Crew Work Visa holders
  • Working Holiday Visa holders
  • Limited visa holders under the Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) or Supplementary Seasonal Employer (SSE) schemes
  • Silver Fern Job Search Visa holders
  • Domestic Staff of a Diplomat work visa holder

Partners & Dependent Children of Essential Skills Work Visa Holders

Essential Skills Work Visa holders earning below the median wage can only support partners on a visitor visa. Those earning at or above the median wage or meeting a certain income threshold can support work or visitor visas for their partners and visitor or student visas for dependent children.

Partners & Dependent Children of Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV) Holders

AEWV holders earning the median wage or above can support work visas for partners. However, if earning below the median wage, then they can only support a visitor visa for the partner.

AEWV holders can support visitor or student visas for dependent children only if they meet the income requirement. As on 10 January 2023, this is $43,322.76 a year.

Currently, partners of work visa holders have open work rights. Immigration New Zealand (INZ) has announced that this will change from April 2023 onwards. Please click here for more information regarding this.

Evidence Required

To apply for a visa as the partner of a work visa holder, you will need to provide evidence of your relationship with your work visa holder partner. Such evidence includes but is not limited to a marriage certificate, proof of cohabitation etc. You may also need to provide evidence of your financial and personal circumstances.

Duration of Visa for Partners and Dependent Children

If you are granted a visa as the partner of a work visa holder, you will generally be able to work and live in New Zealand for the same length of time as your partner. Dependent children, too, can live and study in New Zealand for the same duration.

However, you will only be eligible for permanent residence once your partner has lived & worked in New Zealand for at least two years.

If you need assistance with a partnership-based visa, please provide your details by clicking here, and we will help!

It is important to note that the process for obtaining a partnership based visa as a partner of a work visa holder can be complex. Hence, it is recommended that you seek the advice of a qualified immigration consultant like Immigration Advisers New Zealand Ltd. to ensure that you have the best chance of obtaining a visa.

Get in touch with Immigration Advisors New Zealand Ltd, which provides up-to-date immigration information so you can consider opportunities and prepare yourself for the future. To know all the required procedures, contact us at [email protected] or call on +64 09 3790219.

Author Details

immigration consultant hamilton

Vandana Rai

(LIA 201400900)

Vandana Rai is a Senior Licensed Immigration Adviser and has built a reputation around her rare set of skills, which could be considered ideal for her legal profession.

Green List

Profile Check Form

Click Here ×