Temporary Visa Category

Temporary Visa for New Zealand

As the name suggests, a temporary visa lets you come to New Zealand on a temporary basis. Temporary VisaThere are a wide range of temporary visas available and the length of time you can stay varies greatly too. In fact, it can be anything from a handful of days up to two or three years.

A temporary visa can also lead, in some circumstances, to permanent residency status.

Temporary Visa Options

  • Visitor visa – this is the simplest type of visa to apply for. With this visa, you can visit friends, explore New Zealand, enjoy amateur sports, take part in adventure activities, or even study up to three months. Depending on your plans, you can be granted a visitor visa up to nine months.
  • Family visa – this applies if you have family who live in New Zealand or if you are in a relationship with a citizen or resident of New Zealand. You may be able to get this visa if your partner has a temporary visa – it will be for the same length of time as your partner’s. On the other hand, if your partner is a resident or citizen of New Zealand, the visa you get will be for between 12 and 24 months. The exact length of the visa in this situation depends on how long you’ve been in a relationship with your partner.
  • Student visa – you will need a student visa if your intention is to come to New Zealand to study for more than three months. This applies regardless of what you are studying or the school you plan to go to. There are various types of student visa available including the fee-paying student visa, student and trainee work visa, dependent child student visa, vocational trainee student visa, occupational registration visitor visa, and pathway student visa.
  • Working holiday visa – this is the right visa if you want to come to New Zealand for a holiday but plan to work while you are here to fund your travels. Working holiday visas are available to young people, usually aged 18-30 but dependent on the country you are from you can be aged up to 35. This visa lets you travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months – 23 months if you’re from the UK.
  • Skilled Stream Work Visa – this visa allows you to come to New Zealand to work temporarily, though in some instances it can lead to residence.
    • Essential Skills Work Visa – this visa facilitates the entry of people required on a temporary basis by New Zealand to fill skills shortages. This is where New Zealand identifies an occupation that needs more workers than there are qualified and skilled New Zealanders available. The duration of the visa depends on the term of your job offer and the prevailing labour market conditions.
    • Work to Residence Visa – this visa enables you to work in New Zealand. After working for at least 24 months you can apply for a resident visa. In addition, you might be able to apply for a Long Term Skill Shortage List visa if you have qualifications, skills, and experience in an occupation needed in New Zealand.
    • Specific Purpose Work Visa – this visa lets you to employ someone for a specific purpose or event, although the hire must be for a specific time-period. In addition, the specialist expertise of the people you recruit must be of benefit to New Zealand without taking away opportunities from New Zealanders. Examples include:
      • EBusiness people on secondments
      • Sports players or professional coaches
      • Specialist equipment installers or people to service that equipment
      • Nurses from the Philippines seeking occupational registration
      • People investigating opportunities to make investments
      • Individuals for other specific purposes or events
  • Entrepreneur Work Visa – you can own and work in your own business with this visa. There are a number of requirements, however. Firstly, you need a minimum of NZ $100,000 that you will invest in the business. You must also get at least 120 points on New Zealand’s points scale. If you get this visa, it can lead to permanent residence.

If you want to find out more about applying for a temporary visa for New Zealand, please contact us today. Call 09 3790219.