Including a Partner in Residence Application

Including a Partner in a Residence Application

If you are applying for a resident visa to stay in New Zealand permanently, you can include your partner on your residence application. This applies to most categories of resident visa including the popular residence from work and skilled migrant category visa.

The key requirement is that you and your partner must be in a stable and genuine relationship. Immigration New Zealand makes its decision on this based on a number of factors. To get professional advice on making your application, contact NZ Immigration Advisers today.

Partner Residence Application – What You Need to Know

You can be in a same sex or opposite sex relationship with your partner but you must be over 18 (if you or your partner is 16 or 17 you can still apply but you will need the consent of your parents or guardians).

You can’t be a close relative of your partner and your partner must meet New Zealand’s character requirements.

You also have to show the relationship is genuine and stable. This means you have to live together. The immigration authorities will look at a number of factors when assessing your relationship with your partner. This includes:

  • How long you’ve been together, how long you’ve lived together, your living arrangements, and how committed you are to each other
  • How you manage your finances, i.e. the way you support each other or share financial responsibilities
  • Whether you own property, are jointly named on a lease, or if you have children
  • Whether other people recognise you as being a couple

Making a Partner Residence Application

It is up to you to provide enough information in your residence application that proves and/or demonstrates the genuineness and stability of the relationship with your partner. We can help you prepare this paperwork and can give you an assessment of your application.

To speak to a licensed immigration adviser please schedule a consultation today. Call 09 3790219.