Residence for Partners of NZ Citizens and Residents

Residence for Partners of New Zealanders

Is your partner a resident or citizen of New Zealand? If so, you can apply for permanent residence to live in New Zealand indefinitely. The standard requirements for a visa apply in this situation. For example, you must be relatively healthy and have a good character.

The main additional requirement you must prove is that you are in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner. You must have also been in the relationship for at least 12 months. You will need to provide evidence to prove this including evidence you live together, evidence you share financial responsibilities, and other evidence you are a couple.

Other Things You Need to Know

  • Your dependent children can be included on your application. This potentially includes children up to the age of 24, although for children aged 21-24 you must prove they rely on you for financial support.
  • With this visa, you can live, work, and study in New Zealand on a permanent basis.
  • There are some situations where your partner must live in New Zealand before you can apply for this visa. This includes if your partner’s residence in New Zealand is based on them being an Australian citizen or permanent resident. It also applies if your partner holds a NZ resident return visa.
  • There are also additional requirements if you and your partner have been living outside New Zealand for over five years. In this case, you will need to apply while your partner is overseas or within three months of them returning to New Zealand.

Professional Advice and Support

To get help with the residence for partners of New Zealanders visa, please contact NZ Immigration Advisers. Call today on 09 3790219.