Get Your Profile Assessed for New Zealand By Experts - Free Consultation

immigration lawyer nz

Student & Trainee Visa

Student & Trainee Visa

If you want to gain practical work experience as a part of your study or training, you can apply to do it in New Zealand by submitting an application under this category. This visa would allow you to undertake and complete a study or training requirement such as formal religious training, practical dental or medical training, or complete an apprenticeship as a jockey.

Apart from meeting the other requirements such as health & character, to be eligible for this visa, practical training should be a requirement as a part of your study. Depending on your study or training, you’ll need to have an offer of practical work experience, a place on a training programme or an apprenticeship. You can’t include a partner or dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

The duration for which this visa is granted is based on its purpose; e.g. medical and dental trainees can stay for up to 6 months, students undertaking practical training for up to 6 months, religious trainees for up to 36 months at first, and apprentice jockeys for up to 4 years.

To find out more about how to apply under the Student and Trainee Work Visa category, assessment criteria and the pitfalls that you should be aware of, please call us today on 09 3790219  or email

Get In Touch with experts

HowWe Work