Countdown Begins

1 March, 2022

2021 Resident Visa

immigration lawyer nz

Teaching in New Zealand: Pathway To Becoming A Registered Teacher in New Zealand?

Teaching in New Zealand: Pathway To Becoming A Registered Teacher in New Zealand?

Teaching in New Zealand

In New Zealand, the average earnings of a teacher are much higher when compared to the remuneration offered in other countries. They have recognized the indispensable role of a teacher in shaping up young minds which, as a result, helps in building a better future. Therefore, teaching is considered to be one of the noblest and valued professions in New Zealand.

Consequently, the pathway towards reaching your goal to teach in New Zealand entails meeting specific requirements and standards set out by the Teaching Council of New Zealand.

What Are The Basic Requirements?

The first step in the process is understanding the basic requirements an overseas teacher must fulfill to be qualified to teach in New Zealand.

  • The fundamental prerequisites include your health and character. You must have good health and a good character. In some instances, you may even have to provide a national police clearance (police vet) certification. Consult Licensed Immigration Adviser for more details.
  • Next, you should have a tertiary level qualification that is equivalent to Level 7 of the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF). Additionally, you will be required to get your qualification assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). NZQA will assess the qualification for equivalency to NZ. In some cases, you may be exempt from getting your qualification assessed. However, the exemption for the assessment is only for checking the equivalency to NZ qualification. Even if the applicant is allowed exemption from the assessment, there would still be a requirement to undergo the process of applying to the Teachers Council to be eligible to teach in NZ.
  • Meet the English Language requirement- please refer to this link for more details- https://teachingcouncil.nz/getting-certificated/for-overseas-trained-teachers/language-competency-requirements/
  • Pathway 1– This is for obtaining overseas teacher’s registration. Once you meet the language requirement and get your qualification assessed, you may try and get yourself registered as an overseas teacher – Please refer to this link more details- https://teachingcouncil.nz/getting-certificated/for-overseas-trained-teachers/
  • Pathway 2 – However, if you are unable to get yourself registered as an overseas teacher directly, then you may consider studying a course in New Zealand that leads to teacher’s registration.

The way forward ?

Since the entire process requires you to progress through various steps and requirements, experienced and licensed advise will take you a long way with guaranteed results.

Get in touch with a reputed New Zealand based Licensed Immigration Adviser. Discuss with them your goals and aspirations. And they will be able to offer you a tailored solution and be able to navigate you towards your end goal through wholesome advice.

Good luck!

Author Details

immigration consultant hamilton

Vandana Rai

(LIA 201400900)

Vandana Rai is a Senior Licensed Immigration Adviser and has built a reputation around her rare set of skills, which could be considered ideal for her legal profession.